When people are concerned about the higher costs of energy in today’s world, there are several things that can be done to help make these efforts effective. Below is a list of just a few items that will help lower your energy bill, and make your home safe and sound for years to come.
1. Purchase Energy Star Appliances. This is not just a cute, catchy name for one particular brand. To get an Energy Star rating, manufacturers need to adhere to strict guidelines that make their products energy efficient. Not everyone gets this rating, only those who have proven that their product is truly energy efficient will be endorsed by Energy Star.
2. Seal up your home. Check for leaks around windows, doors, electric sockets and switches. Anything on an exterior wall has the potential for temperature exchange with the outside, and anything on the interior walls has the potential for heating and cooling the dead space between walls; neither is acceptable. Call us your local Minneapolis electrical contractor will be able to help close these gaps with ease.
3. Use common sense. If it is a particularly hot day, don’t cook a hot meal. This will only make the air conditioner work harder, and run your bill higher. Appliances like the stove, oven, dishwasher and the clothes dryer can be down after sundown when it is not quite so hot.
4. Exchange incandescent bulbs for compact fluorescents. This alone can save so much more than people imagine. Not only do CFLs use less energy than conventional bulbs, but they also generate less heat.
5. Close the blinds. This will also greatly reduce the amount of overall heat in the home. Thermal curtains are even better when it comes to controlling temperatures, and they are very affordable and easy to install for anyone who wants them.
6. Installing ceiling fans is the perfect way to reduce body heat, and keep the cool air circulating within your home. Few homes are without ceiling fans these days,
learning how to use them effectively is a great way to help reduce energy costs,
With a little common sense, and help from your local Minneapolis electrician, you will be able to bring your homes expenses under control, and enjoy the summer all season without being concerned for the next months electric bill. Give us a call to find out more- 612-385-7864